When traveling to Oman, the following behavior rules should be observed in order to travel safely and respectfully:
- Always find out in advance about the dress code in effect at your destination and observe it accordingly.
- If you plan to travel off the paved roads, make sure to choose the right off-road vehicle. A four-wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended.
- Always take enough provisions with you. Especially water and snacks. If you plan to drive longer distances, always make sure you have enough gas. It is best to stop at every gas station along the way.
- If you want to go on a boat trip, make sure to do it only with certified operators. Only here you can be sure that all necessary safety precautions are taken.
- Do not camp in wadi beds. The weather can change very quickly. When it rains in Oman, it is usually extremely heavy. This can create raging floods within minutes that wash away anything in their path.
- Respect the privacy of the local population. Do not take unsolicited photos of people or their homes, and do not enter private properties unless you are specifically allowed to do so.
- Oman still has a pretty big garbage problem. You will often not find trash cans to dispose of your trash. In this case, be sure to take it with you and dispose of it at the earliest opportunity. In the spirit of “leave only footprints”.